Sunday, May 22, 2011

Extreme Home MakeOver

I have been working very hard over the past few months to create a comfortable "nest" for myself and Teddy here in Kenya.  Thanks to my awesome cousin and mom in the US and many visitors here at Tenwek, I have been able to "import" a few things from the US to make the house look nice.  In addition, I have been carefully combing Nairobi for clearance deals on households goods!


 I hit the local Masai markets for artwork and found some good stuff.  The Kenyan gentleman who helps me with yard work has taken great pride in trying to bring some of the "greenery" of the outdoors, to me indoors.  Also, flowers are a major export item here in Kenya, so luckily they are both abundant and very inexpensive!  Of course, all flowers have to be protected from hungry kitties....



 Curtains and tablecloths can be hard to find here unless you have them custom made.  So, some of mine are a little lacking in the "exact fit" department.  But all in all, I think it looks pretty good!

This is a traditional wrap that I bought in Sudan.  Ladies wear them over their dresses or skirts.  I liked mine so much I attached it to a piece of rope (attached it with 3-0 monocryl hee hee)  and hung it on the wall. 

 I was able to get some imported bedding from home to soften up my super firm Kenyan mattress.  Plus, I found some happy fabric to decorate my storage container side table!  I also printed out some favorite photos, put them in plastic protective sheets and hung them over the bed.  (The walls are concrete, so hanging anything is always a bit of a challenge)

 More finds from the Masai Market: picture frames, soapstone decorative plate and a carved wooden elephant...

 The "business center" where Teddy sits and watches the birds in the mornings...

And of course, lots of pictures from HOME!


1 comment:

  1. It looks beautiful Carrie! Wish I could come see it in person. Love the wrap you bought and what you hung it up with. ;)
    Was also fun to see a picture of me and Doug on your wall =). Miss you.

    I've been meaning to ask, anything I can send you?

    ReplyDelete