Friday, June 10, 2011

Moving to Africa Made Simple?

Over one year ago, I began the very long process of packing/moving/selling/organizing that ultimately brought me here to Tenwek.  For those of you who may be contemplating a similiar endeavor, here's a few things to check off your "to do" list:

  • De-clutter:  Moving out of the US is the ultimate de-cluttering experience.  Everything should go into one of three categories: Store It, Take It, or Get Rid of It.  I got accounts at consignment stores and used Craigs List online to get rid of many household items, furniture and clothes that I didn't want to take or store.  I was amazed at the money other people paid for my junk! (See my blog: Adventures in CraigsListing)
  • Get a contact at your destination for info on things to take:  Months before departure, I contacted people a Tenwek to start finding out what things I need to bring and what things could be bought in and around Tenwek.  It's nice if your contact can relate to you and anticipate your needs: for example, if you are single, try to find a single person or if you have young children, find someone with kids. Then shop smart!  I began stockpiling the things I would need to take with me so I wasn't stuck buying everything in the month before departure. I hit the Sunday papers for coupons to help stock up on personal care items that I preferred but weren't available/or were expensive in Kenya.  By combining my local grocer's double coupon days with their sales, I ended up getting items very cheap over time.  I also took advantage of the Back To School sales and stocked up on ink pens, markers and extra household items.

  • Get a power of attorney: Someone has to be your legal advocate in the US for banking, tax or legal issues that may arise while you are gone.  I made a binder for my POA with copies of all my important documents in it: passport, birth certificate, credit cards, info regarding mortgage, disability insurance, health insurance - basically EVERYTHING she needs to know about me legally and finalcially.  The binder is carefully organized so if she has a question about anything - she can just look it up versus trying to email me.
  • Disability Insurance:  Many insurance companies will maintain your insurance overseas but will not allow you to increase your coverage while you live outside the US.  Plan ahead and increase your benefits - if possible- before you move.
  •  Get a permanent address:  all your mail should be sent to this address.  You may advise this person to periodically pack up non-junk items and mail them to you (ie... cards, medical journals).
  • Get online: Any accounts that will persist after your big move should be able to be paid online.  Get in the habit now of paying credit cards, managing bank accounts, etc.. online.

  • Get an international credit card: This is a credit card that does not charge any international fees; I have a Capital One Visa that doesn't charge any fees.  I also opened a Capital One checking account that doesn't charge any ATM fees AND pays interest!
  • Call credit card companies and let them know you will be outside the US so you will be able to use your card.
  • Stock up on prescription drugs and contacts: For me, 2 years worth of contacts!  I also explained to my eye doctor what I was doing and she made a note in my chart that will extend my prescription in case I need to order extra contacts (via the help of someone in the US) and I will not be required to come in for an eye exam.
  • Visit a travel clinic to check what vaccines are recommended for the area  you are moving to. 
  • Stock up on electronics: flashdrives, portables hard drive, CDs, camera & computer accessories, printer cartidges (expensive and difficult to find in Kenya)

  • Scrapbook or make photoalbums of family photos - your "new" neighbors will love seeing pictures of your family and you will like having these memories to share.
  • Packing supplies: I used large/sturdy duffles from WalMart that were only $15 each.  I labelled them using paint pens - no worries about lost luggage tags!  I also bought 2 Rubbermaid Action Packers from Wal-Mart.  They are also available on Amazon with free shipping, but I found them cheaper at WalMart.  They are sturdy for fragile items, but heavier than duffles, so watch your weight limits carefull!  They are great to have for storage once you reach the field, too.
  • Hire an Accountant:  During my Ob/Gyn Residency, I had an accountant do my taxes.  When I decided to move to Kenya, I had a special meeting with him to make sure he was comfortable to continue doing my taxes via my POA, and with the added complication of me living outside the country.  He agreed and is awesome to work with.  He is accessible by email and phone and my experience this tax season was flawless.  My advice - lots of communication before you go and someone who is accessible via email.
  • Renew Passport/Driver's license if it will expires during your time abroad - usually the passport agency is aggreable if you post a letter with your application explaining why you are applying for a renewal early.  I applied for a passport renewal 9 months early with no problem.
  • Place valuable paperwork/jewelry in safe deposit box, safe place, etc...in the US.
  • Don't be afraid to take a few nice clothes - just because you are a missionary doesn't mean you have to look like you are from 1978.
  • Take your favorite textbooks.  There are no well stocked libraries on the mission field.

  • Purchase an electronic reader - Kindle, Nook, etc... - you can't read textbooks all the time!  And this is a great way to cut down on your packing!
  • Don't forget entertainment: CD's, movies, games.  I downloaded all my CDs into my iTunes library, then backed them up on a portable hard drive.  My movies I put into a CD book to cut down on storage space.   I brought a few blank CDs and empty CD cases in case I wanted to burn something or in case someone wanted to borrow a movie.
  • Organize your bags: Keep a packing list for each bag that you pack so you know where everything is and how much of each thing you have packed - and if something gets lost - you know what items were inside.  I also numbered the outside of my bags - 1, 2, 3, etc.... so at the airport I could easily look and tell which one was missing.
  • Make your ministry a Team Effort:  Working on the mission field is not a solo act.  You need a POA to help with finances, but you also need people to support in other ways.  Consider choosing 4-6 people to form a Social Support system for you.  They can support you by remembering birthdays, anniversaries and periodically sending care packages.  One person may head up the group effort, but this show of support can really help maintain your spirit on the field.  It may also be helpful to have a team of Prayer Warriors: this is a group of people that you correspond with on a routine basis to discuss prayer requests and praises.  This approach allows your family and friends to show their love and support for you and truly become a "part" of your ministry team.

4 comments:

  1. Wow girl, I'm impressed. This should get put into a pamphlet and given to mission organizations to hand out to their missionaries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I esp. like moving tip #16 ;) AND the tip that we don't have to look like we're from 1978 =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was trying to find one that said, "It's okay to pack, unpack, re-pack a million times only to have to do it ONE MORE time at the Delta counter!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie ShackelfordJune 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM

    I am moving to South Sudan and just started searching online today for "what to pack to move to Africa" and found your blog. How helpful! THANK YOU so very much for taking the time to do this!

    ReplyDelete