Sunday, March 18, 2012

Tomorrow

To fully understand the story - we have to go back to 1999.

I was fully ensconsed in the college bubble: new friends, living away from home, random roadtrips, first heartbreak, first failed exam...it was a charmed life.  But this not my story.  It's Norah's.

In 1999 - while I was a world away having the time of my life - Norah was living in the Rift Valley in Kenya.  Married for 2 years, Norah was pregnant with her first child.  And in labor.  As her labor continued and the baby did not come, Norah began to get concerned.  One day passed, then two.  Ladies from her village came by to see her.  Something was wrong.  She was encouraged to travel to the nearest health dispensery, ~ 2 hours away.  After reaching the health dispensery, she was observed for another day; still the baby did not come, but it was alive.  She was advised to go to the nearest health clinic, ~ another 3 hours away.  Norah and her husband travelled to the health clinic and after waiting some time to be seen, they were told that she was fully dilated but the baby was not coming out.  A health provider delivered th baby using forceps.  By this time the baby was dead.  The next day, Norah awoke in a pool of urine.  She could not control it; it just leaked and ran down her leg.

Confusion and grief abounded: What had happened?  When had the baby died?  Why was the urine leaking?  When would it stopped?  Norah and her husband were retuned home without a baby and without answers to their many questions........

2010:

I am preparing to finish residency in Ob/Gyn with a purpose – I have decided to go to Kenya.  Busy studying, preparing and packing....I am excited to finish this season of my life and start the next one.

Back in Kenya, Norah now has 3 children.  She has lost a total of 6 other babies.  Her youngest is four years old.  She still leaks urine constantly; the smell surrounds her.  She does not leave the house unless necessary because she is ashamed of the smell.  She does not visit neighbors or family, she does not go to church.  Her face is a pretty one, but it is rarely seen smiling.


Present Day:

When I met Norah in February, she wouldn’t look at me.  She didn’t smile.  Even when initially post-op, after her fistula was repaired, she would lie in the bed and stare at the wall.  After 10 days on the ward, I finally started getting eye contact, she began to sit up when I came into the room and once I think I saw a smile when I entered the room.

I examined her pre-operatively and was surprised by the findings.  Her tissue was very healthy and the fistula was actually two very small fistulas midway between the urethral opening and the cervix.  I enlisted the help of one of Tenwek's long time general surgeon's to do the surgery with me and her OR date was set. 

Several months ago, I blogged about another patient with a fistula: Stone.
Afterwards, I was contacted by a dear friend who works with Trinity Sudan Ministry.  A donor from affiliated with the organization offered to contribure funds to help pay for her surgery.  Unfortunately, that patient has never returned, so I requested that I be able to use the fund for other fistula patients.  Norah was the first of those patients. 

During Norah's surgery, I kept thinking about how one day can make such a difference.  Twelve years ago, she woke up leaking urine and has been doing so ever since.  But tomorrow - for the first time in 12 years, she would wake up NOT leaking urine.  She would not smell.  Her clothes would be dry.  She could sit next to someone and not feel worried or ashamed.  I felt so humbled and happy that I was able to be part of this experience and to have someone here at Tenwek to show me how to help her. 

Norah's post-operative course went well.  She was happy, but cautious.  After 12 years of leaking, I think maybe she is wondering if it will just start again.  But on POD 8, I discharged her home with her foley - no leaking!  She will return in one week for its removal.  I spent time with both her and her husband discussing the details of her post-operative care.

When I shared this story with a friend at Samaritan's Purse, she asked me about what Norah would wear if all her clothes smelled like urine.  I honestly didn't know.  It's difficult to completely wash out a chronic urine smell with handwashing.  So, this dear friend wanted to buy her a new suit of clothes!  I enlisted the help of my trusted house worker, Sara, who went to the hospital - took Norah's measurements and went shopping!  

On the day before her discharge,  I gave her a new jacket, skirt and shirt and I told her:  "Tomorrow, you will start a new life.  To celebrate, I am giving you these new clothes.  There are people from far away who have been praying for you even though they have never met you.  So when you look at these clothes and you think of the money that was given to help pay the bill, I want you to remember that God did not forget you while you were leaking urine all these years.  Instead, He was waiting to heal you in His own time.  He loves you and has been taking care of you."

Tomorrow.  I hope it will be beautiful for Norah. 

Norah and her husband - displaying their donation from Trinity Sudan Ministry

Norah's new clothes

2 comments:

  1. What an exciting thing to be a part of!!I can't even imagine what it is like for these women who have to go through this -- for years on end!
    I love reading your blog. We lived in Nakuru for a year from 'o5-'06 when my husband was Kenya Field Treasurer. We definitely have left a part of our hearts in Kenya. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing Carrie. Keep bringing hope & healing in the name of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete