Saturday, June 9, 2012

What's In A Name?

In Kenya, a Kipsigis baby's name is chosen based on events surrounding the child's birth: the time of day the babe was born, if guests were there, if a white doctor delivered the baby, if the parents were travelling, etc...

Also, the names are descriptive of if the baby is a boy or a girl:  "Chep-" for girls and "Kip-" for boys.

Since Kipsigis is the most popular tribe around Tenwek, I have become very interested in the meanings of these names and the stories they tell. 

A few weeks ago, two of the nurse on OB were chiding me for not yet having a Kipsigis name.  (Most people have both a Christian and a Kipsigis name and may go by either one.)  So, they had me tell them the story of MY birth so they could help me pick a name.....

It went a little something like this:

"What time of the day were you born?" asked one nurse.
"810 am," I replied.
"Chepkoech means born in the morning." he replied.
"Do you prefer cows or goats?" asked the second.
I wrinkled my forehead.  "I don't know.  Either I guess.  I just don't like donkies."
"Or you could be Chepgnetich - that's born when people are waking," suggested the second nurse.
"Well, I was born breech and there was no OB doctor - what about that?" I asked.
They both looked impressed.  "Oh - you should be Chepchirchir - born with emergency."

Hmmmm.....Carrie Chepkoech/Chepgnetich/Chepchirchir.......

Now, I just have to find a name for Teddy...will have to ask about "born with fur".....

My name advisors...




1 comment:

  1. Chepchirchir may God continue to use you as you serve in the mission fields!you will get more names..........

    ReplyDelete