Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Negogiations Were Short, Master

We have discussions - or negogiations - a lot here in Kenya.  There is no bottom line - only a shadowy curvy line that it takes 30 minutes and a cup of tea to find.  If you are in the market and you want to buy a pineapple or a souvenir - you don't just buy it.  There is a process:


First, the compliment: "Do you like these ones?" from vendor. Or -
"These are nice," from you.


The call to negogiations: "I will give you a good price," from vendor, or
"How much for this one?" from you.


The negogiations begin: "600."
"300."
"That is too little."
"Yes, but 600 is the tourist price. I live in Kenya."
"Oh?  You are living here?"
"Yes.  I am a doctor at Tenwek.  On Labor Ward."
"Are you knowing Rose?"
"Yes - I work with her."
"Okay. Maybe for you just 500."
"400."
"450?"
"Deal."


This past Saturday was full of negogiations. 

This week, I am going to Nairobi.  But – I also need to go to Kijabe Hospital – a mission hospital about 2.5 hours from Tenwek to take care of some business.  Even though it means a long day of car travel, I thought maybe it would be cheaper to hire a driver to take me to Kijabe and then to travel on to Nairobi.  I called the driver I use to go to Nairobi and explained my predicament. 
“I am wondering what it would be for you to take me to Kijabe and then to Nairobi?”
But he could not tell me over the phone.  He wanted to meet in person and “discuss”.  So we made an appointment for him to come by my house on Saturday at 10 am so we could talk.
On Saturday, two friends and I decided we would go into Bomet (small town only  10 minutes away) after my “meeting” with the Nairobi driver.  There is a local guy I use to drive me into Bomet, so I called him up and told him that we wanted to go into Bomet, look around and then return to Tenwek.  He wanted to discuss a price too!  So, I told him to come by at 11 am.
In the end, I had a nice meeting with my Nairobi driver and got a great price.  I had a harder time negotiating with the Bomet driver, but again, we reached a mutually satisfying middle ground and we made it to Bomet  in time to shop the Saturday market!


Fresh fruits and veggies for sale - price negogiatable of course.


The Ladies Bargain Yard - sorry no dressing room! 

Fresh cabbage 

Small dead fish - I bought some for Teddy; he wouldn't even try them.

The material store


Got a lesson in Kenyan hair-fixin'!

and for anyone who thinks there are no opportunities for investment in Kenya.......


No comments:

Post a Comment