Thursday, April 21, 2011

Spring Break 2011, Part One

For the first time in my entire life, I just took a two week vacation!  It was awesome - I recommend everyone do it on a monthly basis. 

Over the past 2 weeks, I have slept in 3 countries, used four different kinds of currency, spoke two languages and stayed in four hotels.

The first part of my break was a visit to warm and tropical Malindi, Kenya.  Located on the coast, by the Indian Ocean, Malindi enjoys white sandy beaches, lovely coral reefs and very warm weather.  I was invited to spend five days at a resort as part of World Gospel Mission's annual retreat.  There were twice daily worship services, small group sessions and lots of SUN.  It was really nice to just spend time getting to know some of my fellow missionaries from Kenya a little better and also to experience church like "back home."  And of course having free refills and an exclusive beach wasn't too shabby either!

Here's the highlights:
 My room - it had air conditioning!  It also had a padded headboard and was all white...made me think that maybe a psych ward could be a happy place....

  I learned to snorkel in the Indian ocean!  I got up close and personal with zebra fish, puffer fish,  other strippy fish and sting rays!  I also got up close and personal with the coral reef and was bleeding in the ocean – aaagggghhh – thank goodness sharks do not frequent reefs!

 Catching up on my Vitamin D...

 Boy George the Camel - who was giving rides to any tourist willing to pay

And I got a tattoo - no worries, Ma - it's just henna ink!

 I caught up on my napping, reading and snacking when we weren't in worship sessions....

Meanwhile, back in Tenwek.....


My time in Malindi was physically, mentally and spiritually refreshing.  However, at the end of the retreat, I was very excited to return to Nairobi and prepare for "part two" of my vacation....

No comments:

Post a Comment