Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Twelve Days of A Tenwek Christmas

The last few weeks have been super busy, so I thought I would condense all the news into a festive, but compact blog:

Twelve Months in Kenya:  Happy One-Year anniversary to me!

Sorry, I just really like this picture of me and the worm.


Eleven episodes of The Glades: I like this show.  The medical side is weak, but the sarcasm is strong.


Ten Pints Transfusing:  I've blogged many times about the ongoing blood shortage in Kenya.  At first, I tried to solve the problem myself:

Then I learned the blood types of others and stalked them shamelessly:


Now, I have taken on a new and bold strategy:  I am requiring all elective hysterectemies to bring 3 family members in to donate one pint of blood each before being admited for surgery.  And finally, it works!  One week, we took in so much blood, we were able to give 3 units to a needy surgery patient.  Let's hope my blood nazi system continues to work!

Nine Days on Strike: Since December 5, all government-paid physicians in Kenya have been on strike, protesting for better medical benefits (definitely needed), better medical supplies to district hospitals (definitely) and more pay (join the club).  Since that time, all patients have been re-rounted to private ($$$) or mission (that's me!) facilities.  We are seeing a lot more transports, and have decreased our elective surgeries in response.

Eight Crying Babies:  (Okay, just an excuse to put in a cute baby picture here!)

Triplets that I had to deliver vaginally: 2 breech and one cephalic.  All 3 feeding and
growing well in the NICU!



Seven Attempts to Get this Picture:

Merry Christmas from Teddy!

Six Bad Placentas: Over the past 3 months, I've had 1 velamentous cord insertion, 1 choriocarcinoma, 1 acreta, 2 incretas and 1 percreta!



Placental Increta




Velametous cord insertion from triplet delivery



Placental Percreta



Five Inches of RAAAIIIINNN!  Sorry - I got nothing else.  Theme blogs are hard.  I don't see me doing this again.

Four Hours Decorating:





Three days in Nairobi:  A few weeks ago, I travelled to attend the annual Christmas fair in Nairobi.  It is basically a huge, Christmas flea-market.  Unfortunately, this year it was preceeded by a LOT of rain, so this was the sight that greeted us!  I spent the day shopping in the mud and muck - but found some good deals nevertheless and had an other wise relaxing weekend!
 


Two Docs Operating:  My Co-Post-resident has decided to join me for a few weeks here at Tenwek.  Though she is a general surgeon, I managed to steal her away for a few cases..... 


And me with a Christmas Tree:

1 comment: