Tuesday, November 30, 2010

How KLM Stole Christmas

It all started with the cable guy. 

I cancelled my cable TV service weeks ago but I still had my internet service.  I wanted to keep the service until the last minute so I scheduled the Time Warner guy to pick up the modem between 8-10 am on November 29 (my day of departure).

I didn't have to be at the airport until 1 pm.

He never showed.

When I arrived at the CVG Airport, my day continued sharply down hill. As I piled my bags by the Delta terminal counter a sour faced agent took my passport.

"Where's your Kenyan visa?" asked Sour Face.

You have to have a visa to visit Kenya.  Visas can be obtained by sending off your passport to the Kenyan embassy in the US and then having the documents mailed back to you OR you can buy one at the airport upon landing in Kenya.  The visa is only valid for a few months - long term visitors also have to apply for a long term visa. 

"I'll be getting it in Nairobi." I replied.

Sour Face shook her head.  "No.  You are booked as a one way ticket.  You either have to have a visa now or you have to have a return flight booked."  Her co-agent, Donald, seemed to be nodding in agreement, explaining that if I get kicked out of the country, Delta doesn't want to foot the bill for a return flight.

Apparently, there is a problem with nefarious persons sneaking into Kenya without visas.  According to Donald and Sour Face.

An hour later, I had talked to my contact at SP and reluctantly, so had Sour Face.  And a refundable return ticket had been booked.  Game on!

Then Donald seems to notice the bags.  "How many bags do you have?"

"Ten."

More head shaking.  "How many bags do you think you can have?"

Internal monologue:  Well, Donald - obviously I think I can have ten bags or I wouldn't have brought them.

"According to delta.com, I can check ten."

You ever see a hawk swoop out of the sky and kill a rabbit?  That was Sour Face.  "But you are switching to KLM in Amsterdam and November/December is peak season.....etc....

....therefore....THEY ONLY ALLOW FIVE BAGS PER PERSON."

I know in the Bible it describes Lucifer as being a beautiful creature, but I think he may also have a sour face.

I could feel the tears starting to burn in my eyes.  Five bags!  I had ten!  Donated suture, medical supplies, household goods, clothes, medicines, medical books......one whole bag of gifts (Christmas presents) for a mission family in Kenya.....all carefully packed and repacked multiple times to ensure proper weightage.

Failure could not be an option.

"Can the bags be overweight?"  I was grasping at straws now.

"It will cost more."

Of course it will.

So, my mom, my cousin and I set about doing an extreme unpack/repack in the middle of the Delta terminal in CVG.  All bags were unlocked and opened.  Underwear, books, forceps, suture and other items were tossed about and thrown onto the carpet.

Note to self: All clothing will need to be re-washed.

In a moment of panic, I realized I had no idea what was being repacked.  I tried to supervise, but in my adrenaline laced fury, I just remember saying, "Help me!" alot.

That may have been the screaming in my head.

At one point, Donald was tagging a bag while I was packing it, because all the while the clock is ticking and I should be at the gate for my flight!  Finally, five bags were packed and I left my poor family to clean up the exploded luggage leftovers while I ran to security.

I missed the flight.

Deep breath.  My cat is in Amsterdam.  I just had to chuck 40% of my luggage.  There is a mission family who will not get their Christmas presents.  There is a hospital that will not get an allotment of donated suture.  I don't know where my five bags are or what exactly is packed in them.  I hope I have shoes.

I am being held against my will in Cincinnati.  I want to LEAVE.  I tried to leave.  I paid a ransom (luggage fee).

Failure is not an option.  I still have to get Teddy in Amsterdam!

Three hours later....

After many tears, cell phone minutes and discussions with the Delta agent, the SP agent, the pet agent and my therapist (just kidding on the last one), I had a new flight plan and I had located my bags.

I will be arriving in Nairobi a day later than planned (Dec 1).  Teddy will stay an extra night at the pet hotel in Amsterdam.  I will spend today trying to think about what vital things did not get packed and possibly buying a bigger carry on bag.

Persecuted? Is this a ploy to discourage me?  Knock me down and keep me there?
Protected?  Why does God seem to sometimes not hear prayers?  Was there a purpose to me not being on that flight? 
Poor travel planning? Why did I insist on keeping my internet service through the weekend?!

As someone told me yesterday - I may never know the answers to my questions until Eternity.

Luckily, eternity has no visa requirements, luggage limitations or slamming cabin doors.

Oh.... and Delta's answer to my trail of tears?  A $6 food voucher.  Not valid on alcohol.

I bought chocolate. 

This story does not have a happy ending....nor does it end.  I am merely hoping for a better day today.  There are things that have to be accomplished no matter what obstacles befall you.  I HAVE to go to Kenya.  I HAVE to find my cat.  Everything else......well.......I'll just do the best I can.


For the record, I don't actually "hate" Delta, but I do like this picture from a fellow
disgruntled traveller.  It made me smile.



6 comments:

  1. Dear Carrie
    Of course satan (I refuse to capitalize his name) was in the middle of all that. And of course, you (and God through you) will prevail. And of course crap happens but here's one of the many beauties of our faith... When all seems lost, we know better because we have the Lord to guide our hearts, our minds and our days. God bless you for all you are doing. You don't need to conquer the world, just add some light and life to one person, one day at a time.
    Merry Christmas!
    Michael Warner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie: You have a strong will and you will make it.....I am passing this pn to Dr. Fry as he ususlay does not do blogs! Give Teddy a kiss for us when you get him.

    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you certainly had a terrible day, but I have only one question for you...Did you say Teddy had to stay an extra day in Amsterdam? Hmmm... I get to go to Loretto, Kentucky and Teddy is traveling all over the world. LOL

    NEO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really hope you're in Nairobi now! We've all been praying!

    Katrina - the SP agent :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just woke up and now after reading your blog....I'm worn out so I know you must be. I'm going to pray that things go smoother for you and that you will be united with teddy soon. shew...I may go back to sleep for a bit. Love you Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read and enjoyed your blog. I heard about your travel troubles. Just goes to show Satan will try anything to stop a good cause. Hope things are much better now and will be waiting to read more about your adventures in upcoming blogs.

    Love, Auntie Regenia & Keith

    ReplyDelete