Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Home Sweet Tenwek

The community of Tenwek is built around the hospital and is rather like a college campus.  Most everyone living here works in some capacity for the hospital.  The terrain is very hilly and the elevation is a severe ~8000 feet. 

The altitude takes some getting used to - I have had headaches, fatigue, achiness and shortness of breath when walking.  It's a lot like residency.  Or heart failure.

I have to walk up a rather steep hill to get to the hospital - it only takes ~ 4 minutes, but the combination of my poor conditioning, the altitude and the terrain leaves me huffing and puffing.

My house consists of a kitchen, living/dining room, bathroom and 2 bedrooms.  There is actually a lot of closet and cupboard space.  It's a little barren yet, but I am getting settled in. 


My living room: Notice Teddy on the fireplace!  Unfortunately all my lovely curtains
were left behind in Cincy, so I am sporting the Kenyan motiff.

Another view of the living room and the door to the guest bedroom
My very small bathroom - it has both hot and cold water!  It is also
a weight loss motivator because it has only about 12 inches between the tub and
sink!   There will be no running to this toilet.....
My bedroom: The mattress is very firm, so I improvised.  I folded a blanket
and a thin mattress pad in half right in the middle, so now it is slightly less firm.
Another view of my bedroom.  The over the door shoe rack
may be the BEST thing that I brought to Kenya.  It is multipurpose.
Another bedroom view and a shot of my bedside table made of my ActionPacker
(the one that KLM didn't destroy)

The dining room "area".  Note the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree.
No ornaments because *sigh* Delta made me leave them behind. :-(





No comments:

Post a Comment