Thursday, December 30, 2010

Come And Go With Me

Job descriptions are important.  It’s nice to get an idea of what you are getting into before you sign on the dotted line.  A last chance to escape, you might say.
In residency, job descriptions were very useful.  We had a whole book to outline exactly which resident would see which patient, what tests we should order depending on what symptoms were found and which attending should be called.
Life is more vague now.   Chaos and unpredictability are the two things I can rely on.
 I know that I am in Kenya to serve as an OB/Gyn physician.  I know we have our main operating day on Thursdays.  But what of all the issues?  The problems?  The loneliness?  I don’t remember any of that in the job description. 
Reflecting on this, I recently wondered if my experience could be given clarity by reading the Bible.  It’s our guidebook to life – so why not think it could help me in better outlining my job description as a medical missionary?   The twelve disciples were called from their homes and families by Jesus, so I was hoping that maybe they received some sort of outline.   I found my answer in Matthew 9:36 and Matthew 10 where Jesus sends out the apostles. 
Here’s my summary:
-Jesus says that the harvest is plenty, but laborers are few
-Jesus tells the disciples to pray and ask for more laborers
-Jesus gives the twelve Power to heal disease and cast out unclean spirits
-He commands them to preach the gospel to all
-He instructs them on how to behave
-He commands them to heal and cast out spirits
-He warns against meddling with evil and selfishness
- He warns of persecution and hatred that will be endured
Wow.  That’s quite a job commentary.  There were a few things that especially hit home with me.
First, Jesus acknowledged the upcoming struggle – Look there is a lot of work to be done, and few workers to do it.
 Now my next sentence what have been: “So get busy!”  But His was, “So pray to the Lord that He will send out more workers!”  Paraphrase mine.  There are a lot of times that I am so overwhelmed by the sheer volume of my work, that I forget this first instruction: To Pray for Aid and Guidance.
Jesus follows this command by giving His disciples the Power to heal and cast out unclean spirits.  BAM! Such an important lesson here:  to first seek God’s help through prayer, so that you will receive the power to carry out His will.
Now I am not suggesting that you will pray, then go around magically healing everyone by tapping their shoulder, but I am saying that perhaps there is a natural progression from dependence on God to the Power to see prayers answered and miracles occurring.
The remainder of the summary is vital to me because of what it DOES NOT say.  It talks about how we should behave, how people may view us and how the gospel should be our priority, but what is NOT mentioned is:
-   How WE need to change peoples’ heart or ways or actions
-   How WE are responsible for others’ actions
-   How WE are alone – in fact the opposite!  (The hairs on our heads are numbered…)
This was a great lesson for me.  At a time when I was wallowing in a pit of frustration over circumstances that I could not change, I realized that I wasn’t being ask to change those things.
Instead, my job description is this:
1.  Pray for help.
2.  Be open to receiving and viewing the power that God is working in Tenwek.
3.  Do not try to change other people’s hearts and minds; instead, refer to #1.
Even after all of this…is it still frustrating at times? Yes.  Still lonely at times?  Yes.  I think that it will just be that way…..for a while, maybe always. 
“And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.”  Matt 21:23

3 comments:

  1. I love you very much dear girl!! My online devotional this morning was about birds. How they do not worry but have faith that God will provide. Praying for you and your work / right now and always !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you too Carrie! Thanks for sharing your struggles, what you have to say ministers to me. I need that lesson too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cari,
    Very good blog. Very insightful and written with much wisdom. I have been reaind "Outlive Your Life" by Max Lucado and last night I read a chapter on prayer and how prayer is to be first not last, you hit it right on the mark with your blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete