Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Road Home

I started work on Tuesday - just a half day - then jumped right in on Wednesday and finished out the week.
My work day starts with a physical challenge.  As I have alluded in previous posts, the combination of the altitude, the terrain and my personal distaste for exercise has caused my transition here to be a little rocky.  I thought I would share a little more about the neighborhood....just to defend all my whining....

This is the first hill that I encounter outside my house.  Here I begin to experience shortness of breath.  The sidewalk is slightly tilted to the left, so I also imagine that one leg is growing longer.

 This is the second hill.  Here I often feel like I might not make it the rest of the way.  Talking is out of the question.  This is where, on Thursday, I regreted eating chili for lunch. It will give you reflux.  And it alwas makes me feel a little bit like I have to urinate.  Strange.  There are sometimes donkies here grazing by the roadside, sometimes a cow.


This is the third and final hill.  By this time, I am hoping that I don't see anyone at the top because I am too winded to talk.  My legs usually are feeling tired - especially if it is the second or third trip of the day.  I am usually wishing I had taken the afore mentioned donkey.

Overall, I have decided to view this physical stressor by pretending I am on one of those reality TV shows - like The Biggest Loser - only I am in Kenya, and I have participate and continue my job. 

Here's some other views from my walk:

The view from "my" side of the hill

Home at last!

2 comments:

  1. am enjoying reading about your adventures -- thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie,

    Trent and I are following your blog. We are printing it for Regenia. She is really enjoying it! We may teach her how to use a computer yet!

    God bless you and know that we are thinking and praying for you!

    Trent & Karen Wright

    ReplyDelete