Saturday, January 8, 2011

Say What?!

In my first month at Tenwek, I have seen, heard and done many interesting things.  Among the most interesting, is learning the cultural aspects of conversation.  Learning to speak "Kenyan" English has been both frustrating and amusing. 

Here's a few examples:

Phrase 1: "Perhaps...."
This is often used as a way of responding negatively, but in a very vague but polite way.  Consider the following conversation:
Me:  Nurse, have you seen the intern this morning?
Nurse:  Perhaps, he is in room 100.
I go look in room 100, but no intern.
Me:  Nurse, I cannot find the intern.  Have you seen him?
Nurse:  Perhaps he is in Labor Ward.

I know now that this means that the intern is not here, no one has seen him and perhaps he is home in bed.

Phrase 2: "Yes..."
This may mean "yes," "no," "I don't know," or "?"

Me: Did you see the patient?
Intern: Yes
Me: What is her problem?
Intern: Yes, I am just coming now to see her.
Me: So you have not seen her?
Intern: I am just seeing her now.

Or......

Phrase 3: "It is unclear...."
This is my favorite.  Another expression of doubt, without saying "I don't know."

Me: Hi, this is Dr. Huber.  I am returning a page.
Muffled voices.
Nurse:  It is unclear to me who paged you.  Perhaps you can call at another time.

Phrase 4:  "He/she has not yet come."
The ultimate phrase of maintaining public respect.  It gives the illusion that although the person is not here NOW, he/she IS planning to come.
This is always used during a public event...about half through the event or later.

Pastor:  I think John has an announcement.  Is John available?  Oh....John has not yet come.

These phrases, along with all the new vocabulary and medical phrases I am learning, make each day both exciting and very amusing.  I can only imagine what the local Kenyans must think about some of the "strange" phrases and words I use.


Taking a little break in the recovery room.....


Here's a little vocabulary lesson from my journey so far:
bathroom = choo
cellphone = mobile (mow-bile)
tape = strapping
flashlight = torch
operating room = theater
miscarried/delivered (referring to a dead baby) = expelled
tea = chai

Random Picture that I just like.

Flowers Outside My House


,

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this! I thoroughly enjoyed your insights into the language. I think I'll have you come visit me in any country I go to so you can help me figure out what's going on. =)

    ReplyDelete