Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What's For Dinner?

A very common question that I receive is, "What do you eat for breakfast/lunch/dinner in Kenya?"  

To appease your hungry curiosity, I complied a photo diary of some of my recent meals:


My breakfast of champions:  This month I was lucky enough to find Frosted Flakes at the grocery in Nairobi - some months its the generic Sweetie Flakes.  Add a little milk from a box - and there's breakfast!


Around 1030 each morning, life at Tenwek slows to near-halt for tea time.  Chai has become my substitute for the Starbucks fix that I entertained in the US.  It is mostly milk and sugar with a dash of strong, black tea.


Tea in Kenya is not "drank" or "drunk;"  it is taken.  And it is best taken with mndazi - a Kenyan- version of the doughnut aka... deep fried bread!

This usually gets me through lunch - which I spend working.  At the end of the day, I go home for dinner.  For me, dinner is made possible by Sara, a wonderful Kenyan woman, who comes 3 days a week to my house to cook.   


Chicken Parmesian with salad, some fresh guacamole and homemade galic bread.  And a nice cold Diet Coke.  Suddenly, the day does not seem so bad!


Another dinner....fried chicken tenders with some melted cheese, wrapped in chapti (a Kenyan tortilla of sorts), with some spciy mustard for dipping. 


Aahhhh.... a breakfast buffet in Nairobi over the weekend: yogurt, mndazi, a doughnut and the real treat - bacon!


Dessert at fellow missionary's house: cinnamon chips covered with melted Nutella and sliced strawberries.  Unbelieveably delicious!


So, as you can see, the food is good here.....in fact, I should probably take another walk or two up the hill ......

No comments:

Post a Comment